The Federation of International Football Association (FIFA) on Tuesday officially invited the Ghanaian government for a meeting at its headquarters in Zurich, Switzerland, as part of deliberations towards the resumption of football activities in the country.
The meeting, scheduled for June 28, is a continuation of discussions in Accra and is seen as an important step in FIFA’s efforts to put in place interim measures to allow the continuation of football in Ghana.
A letter signed by Veron Mosengo-Omba, Director for Member Associations of Africa and the Caribbean, said the meeting would serve as an opportunity to consult the Ghanaian delegation and other stakeholders on this process.
“I am confident that the meeting will be positive and lead to progressive developments from the current situation,” the letter said.
Ace investigative journalist Anas Aremeyaw Anas premiered his latest piece earlier this month which shocked the West African nation to the core.
Several officials and referees were caught on camera receiving cash gifts or bribes to influence games and player selections into national teams, forcing the government to take steps to dissolve the FA.
After a very successful meeting last Friday between FIFA and representatives of the Ghanaian government, both parties agreed to continue the dialogue process as they seek measures in following the right channels for reforms.
Meanwhile, the player’s union, the Professional Footballers Association of Ghana (PFAG), has called for a proactive and all-inclusive reform of football in the country in light of the on-going efforts for improved governance following the crisis.
The PFAG thus called on all stakeholders to work together to ensure a proper structural representation, and expressed the group’s commitment to the development of a new workable model, a paradigm shift and consensus which would be vital to usher in a new era of transparency and performance.