By Alex Osei-Boateng
Ghana has said it was unaware that its 2019 Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON) qualifier against Sierra Leone next week had been cancelled.
The Black Stars are scheduled to play the Lone Stars of Sierra Leone in the AFCON qualifier on Thursday. But the world football governing body, FIFA, last Friday suspended Sierra Leone following government interference, fueling reports that the Ghana-Sierra Leone game would not come off due to the suspension.
However, the spokesman for Ghana’s Normalization Committee, Dan Kweku Yeboah, said Ghana was yet to receive an official communication from the Confederation of African Football (CAF).
“We have not received any official communique from FIFA or CAF that our game with Sierra Leone has been canceled. We called the acting FA president and he told us that the match will come off as scheduled,” he told local media.
Yeboah said the players would troop into the country by Sunday to begin training on Monday for the match which would be played at the Baba Yara sports stadium in Kumasi, Ghana’s second largest commercial city.
“We can’t stop the players from coming because we have not received any official communication from CAF. FIFA can also rescind their decision today or tomorrow. Remember it happened in Nigeria,” Yeboah said.
Ghana sits on top of Group F with three points although all the teams in the Group are tied at three points after two matches.
The 2019 AFCON will be hosted by Cameroon in June and July.