The latest statistics on the novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19) outbreak released by the National Health Commission (NHC) and the Hubei Provincial Health Commission today point to some good news and reflect an increasingly clear trend in the outbreak control.
1. Daily cured and discharged cases surpassed new confirmed cases for the first time.
According to the statistics released by the NHC, between 00:00 and 24:00, 18 February, 1,824 cured and discharged cases were newly reported by the 31 provinces, autonomous regions and municipalities and the Xinjiang Production and Construction Corps, surpassing the number of confirmed cases, which stood at 1,749.
2. The number of confirmed cases still under treatment began to drop.
As of 24:00, 18 February, 57,805 confirmed cases still under treatment had been reported by the 31 provinces, autonomous regions and municipalities and the Xinjiang Production and Construction Corps. Compared with 58,016 on 17 February, the number indicated a decline.
3. Daily cured and discharged cases nationwide exceeded 1,000 for seven consecutive days.
On 18 February, the number of cured and discharged cases nationwide was 1,824, exceeding 1,000 for the seventh day running. The numbers of cured and discharged cases in the past six days were 1,701 (17 Feb.), 1,425 (16 Feb.), 1,323 (15 Feb.), 1,373 (14 Feb.), 1,081 (13 Feb.), and 1,171 (12 Feb.) respectively.
4. New confirmed cases outside Hubei dropped for the 15th consecutive day.
Between 00:00 and 24:00, 18 February, the number of new confirmed cases outside Hubei stood at 56, marking the 15th day of consecutive decline.
5. New confirmed cases outside Hubei dropped to double digits for the second consecutive day.
On 18 February, the number of new confirmed cases outside Hubei was 56. The number for 17 February was 79.
6. New confirmed cases in Hubei Province outside Wuhan dropped to double digits.
On 18 February, 1,660 new confirmed cases were reported in Wuhan, 24 in Xiaogan, 18 in Xiantao, 16 in Huanggang, 12 in Shiyan, 4 in Ezhou, 4 in Jingzhou, 3 in Yichang, 2 in Suizhou, 2 in Xiangyang, and 1 in Jinmen. The numbers of new confirmed cases were revised down by 36 in Xianning, 14 in Tianmen, 2 in Huangshi and 1 in Enshi prefecture respectively. The total number of new confirmed cases in other cities in Hubei Province except Wuhan has also dropped to double digits.